Saturday, February 18, 2017

A Special Kind Of Stupid

You know, it takes a special kind of stupid to quote me something that specifically fucking states that what you're talking about is nothing 1) a paper, not a scientific study and 2) nothing but assertion...and then turn around and tell me that's PROOF of voter fraud.
I'm willing to consider any hypothesis. But bring me proof, not simply assertion and allegations that are only backed up by people who are invested in said allegations. Try to play word games with me and I will chew your ass apart and spit out the pieces.
Fucking moron.
https://plus.google.com/+IcarusAnneRiley/posts/ixo8hGkqek5 






2 comments:

  1. You acquitted yourself beautifully, and thank you for the contribution to that thread.

    Yeah, I learned that one, too. Hair-splitting is always a landmine, and it bites both ways. One needs to vet sources thoroughly before using them. I (almost) always read something with the mindset of "How will someone tear this apart." As you can probably guess, I edit my stuff a lot (sometimes it's even enough).

    I wonder, if in the example you cited - the snopes piece (I love snopes) - it was more a lack of understanding on the part of Mr Wells about "hypothesis" and "assertion." (Quotes used to indicate I mean the literal word definitions.)

    Not that it dismisses his arrogance, but I find three-plus decades of "Well, it's only a theory," hand-waving to be dismissive, has really confused people about what rigorous analysis means anymore. That the ability to distinguish opinion from fact, or that they are not equal, seems to be lost on people these days.

    I remember a conversation with someone years ago and he cited an opinion piece in a college newspaper as his justification for believing certain things were true. I had to resist stabbing him with a pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, ahem, may I suggest you crop that last image a bit? Ending the epic rant with that last bit creates a bit of confusion :)

    I mean, if you had captured the other remarks about the "butt lasers," then it would be funny. Still distracting, but funny :)

    ReplyDelete